Just a few miles from downtown Atlanta, The Howard House is a Queen Anne Victorian estate located in the heart of the historic Kirkwood neighborhood. Built from 1890-1896, it is one of the oldest intact structures in this charming and lively community. To this day, the house remains a retreat within the city, while providing convenience to major areas of interest and transit.
In 2005, The Howard House was poised for demolition, however, the current owner, seeking a home for his family, bought out the contract and began an extensive 10-year restoration process. Now fully revived to its former grandeur and outfitted with modern amenities, the house welcomes guests from all over the world and hosts remarkable weddings and other events throughout the year.
A recent memorable visit was from a former resident of the house; she gifted us with the one of the images shown on this page - a photo of her as a baby, taken in 1936. It is memories like these that we strive to create for everyone who visits.
The original owner of the property was the Green family, headed by Dr. Alfred Franklin Green. Prior to investing in Atlanta real estate, he created Green's Dropsy Remedy (a cure for edema) with his father and brother, which was temporarily very successful. As Alfred and his family grew, they occupied the Howard Street home upon it's completion in 1896. Several of his 11 children were raised in the house and following his death in 1899, his wife, Kate, remarried, lending the "Hess" family name to the estate. The family also owned and lived in several adjacent properties during this time, including 230 and 222 Howard , both standing today. In the 1930's, the property was sold to the Simon family (pictured above), where they lived until the building began it's commercial use after WWII.
Green's Dropsy Remedy
February 1907 wedding announcement for Alpha Green (eldest daughter of Alfred and Kate) and Eugene Daniel
(photo taken in the present day Parlor)
Family photo, in front of 230 Howard Street